Fraser Island, Great Sandy National Park
Tag-along tours are one of the many types of tours available that offer visitors a great Fraser Island experience. Photo: Queensland Government
- Conditions report
Critical information for your safety is included in the conditions report—always check it before you visit.
- Danger! (Lake Wabby)
- Running, rolling, boarding, sliding and jumping down the sand dunes can cause serious injury or death.
- Serious spinal injuries have occurred as a result of performing these activities in the past.
- Survive your drive
Fraser Island’s beaches and sand tracks are rough and only suitable for high clearance 4WD vehicles with low range capacity. All-wheel drive vehicles are not recommended.
Four-wheel-driving on Fraser Island can be dangerous.
People have died in crashes on Fraser Island, so take sand driving seriously.
To help keep visitors safe, new laws are in place for 4WD hire vehicles. See the Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) for more information.
Driving on sand
- Four-wheel-driving on sand is different to driving a normal car and handling can be difficult. Slow down, pack light and store gear inside the car.
- Stick to the speed limit. In good conditions, 80km/hr on the beach and 30km/hr on inland tracks. Remember, slower is safer.
- Do not drive along the foredunes to avoid the high tides. Your vehicle can subside in the softer sands, become unstable and roll-over causing serious injury or death.
- Consider tides, driving conditions and distances when booking a camp site—plan to arrive at your camp site well before dusk.
- For essential safety tips view the safety video Drive to survive on Fraser Island
- Print off the Driving on sand safety guide for your next visit to Fraser Island.
- For more information see driving on sand.
- Fraser Island dingoes
Facilities and activities
Approximately 300km north of Brisbane
Long beaches, dramatic coloured-sand cliffs, natural sandblows, rocky headlands and pristine freshwater lakes and streams are some of Fraser Island’s spectacular natural features.
- Fraser Island conditions report (updated fortnightly)
- Fraser Island map
- Fraser Island Discovery Guide
- Dingo safety video
- About Fraser Island dingoes
- Be dingo-safe! flyer
- Safety video clips
- Frequently asked questions
- Driving on sand safety guide
- Fires prohibited regulatory notice
- Marine stingers warning notice
- Restricted access area on Indian Head
- Maheno access prohibited
- Fire management brochure
- Fraser Island publications
- Fraser Island World Heritage Area
- Fraser Island Great Walk
- Teachers' and group leaders' package
† Requires an appropriate media player