Marine Stingers, Fraser Island
This alert applies to the following parks:
Marine stingers and other dangerous marine life are present, especially during the summer months, in the waters off Fraser Island, Hervey Bay and the Great Sandy Strait.
- Marine stingers have been reported by swimmers on the western side of Fraser Island in particular Platypus Bay and around creeks, including Awinya and Wathumba.
- Several visitors have been stung recently, with symptoms requiring paramedic attention.
- Medical assistance is limited on Fraser Island and visitors are advised to take this into consideration.
- Marine stingers and some other marine life can cause serious injury or death.
- Swimming is not recommended.
In an emergency: dial Triple Zero (000). Try 112 if you have low or no mobile phone reception.
Your safety is our concern but your responsibility.
For further information please visit www.npsr.qld.gov.au.