Skip links and keyboard navigation

closeThe former Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing is merging into new departments.
This site will be updated while the new Department of Environment and Science and Sport and Recreation websites are being established.

QPWS makes it easier to fall in love with Queensland's parks and forests

29 September 2017

Queenslanders are finding it easier to fall in love with parks, whether they are making a park-match online, or buying camping and vehicle permits over the counter at dozens more outlets.

Jacqui Saxby, Executive Director Innovation and Engagement in the Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing (NPSR) said the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) was helping people find their passion for parks and forests and discover more options for enjoying nature.

“We have plenty of wonderful places waiting to be discovered, and hikers, campers, mountain-bikers, paddlers and volunteers can now find their perfect park match using the new ‘Find a Park or Forest’ web page,” Ms Saxby said.

“Go to ‘Find a Park or Forest’ on our website, and plug in what you want to do and where you want to go to find a match.

“You can check features such as wheelchair access, barbecue areas and hiking trails, and use a link to buy camping and vehicle access permits.”

Ms Saxby said national park visitors were also now able to buy the permits over the counter at nearly 80 locations.

“Since 1 July, QPWS has expanded the network of agents who can issue camping and vehicle access permits to about 80 locations in more than 60 Queensland cities and towns, and three in northern New South Wales,” she said.

“That’s a huge increase in coverage, particularly for the central and south-western regions. Until July, we only had 24 agents at 28 locations, mostly in the south-east.”

She said new permit agent locations included Quilpie and Cunnamulla in the south-west and Cooktown on Cape York Peninsula.

“Camping on one of our beautiful parks or forests is still the cheapest holiday – a camping permit costs only $6.35 per person per night, or $25.40 per family per night,” she said.

Permits must be obtained before camping in a national park or State forest in Queensland. Vehicle access permits are required for Moreton, Bribie, and Fraser Island recreation areas, and Cooloola Recreation Area.

More information, including locations for over-the-counter sales, is at

Last updated
29 September 2017